Friday, September 5, 2008

Amazing Chicken Pilaf

Recipe name: Amazing Chicken Pilaf
Source: Tim's brain (based on 30 minute cookbook recipe)
Servings: 2-3
Cookbook date: August 21

2 tsp butter
3/4 cup onions
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic
can of chicken
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1/3 cup raisins
mango chutney

They say necessity is the mother of all inventions. That and laziness is what lead to this recipe. The original recipe called for a few things I didn't have and following the recipe would have taken a lot longer than I wanted so I decided to use the recipe as a guide. So here is what I did. (Read the next section with a Julia Childs' accent in your head, it helps.)

First I melted the butter and sauted the onions until they started to turn brown and slightly caramelize. I then added in the cinnamon, cumin and garlic. I let that cook for minute or two and then took out the onions and garlic. I drained the chicken and cooked it a bit in the pan to gather the flavor of the onion, garlic and spices in the chicken. I then placed the chicken on the same plate as the onions and then added a little bit of olive oil to the pan to cook the almonds. I cooked the almonds till they started to brown.

Meanwhile I had a package of instant rice cooking in the microwave. When it was done I opened it and added it the almonds. I added in the onion and chicken and the raisins and mixed it all up. I then added in a few tbsp mango chutney and mixed that in as well.

Tiffany and I both enjoyed this dish. While it might sound involved from my description it only took a few minutes to put together. I think we are on to something with this rice haugpaug dish thing.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Tim, I must know...what is haugpaug? :-)