Thursday, August 28, 2008

Moving on without the camera

I still can't find the cord so I can upload my pictures. I've decided not to stall my blog any longer, though. I know that recipe posts are much better with pictures, but we have been making some yummy stuff and I want to capture that here and share it with you, pictures or not! So here we go!

Recipe name:Mexican black bean and spinach pizza
Source: Cooking Light
Servings: 4 (at 2 slices each)
Cookbook date: August 24

Ingredients

1 (10-ounce) Italian cheese-flavored thin pizza crust (such as Boboli)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup bottled salsa
1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place pizza crust on a baking sheet; bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until crisp.

Mash beans with a fork; combine beans and next 4 ingredients (beans through garlic) in medium bowl, stirring to combine. Spread bean mixture over crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Spoon salsa evenly over bean mixture; top with spinach and cilantro. Drizzle with hot sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

I was a little bit worried about the spinach being too excessive, but by the time I squeezed all of the water out of it, it was just fine. We served this to company and they seemed to enjoy it. We love pizza and we love Mexican food, and this recipe was a perfect marriage. I think this is the third cooking light pizza I have made, and I've loved them all!

No comments: